What are viruses and spyware?
Viruses, spyware, and malware are programs that are designed to slow down your computer, sell you fake products, and steal your personal information.
What are the symptoms that mean you might be infected?
Common symptoms of an infection could be:
- Slow computer performance
- Annoying popups
- Wierd sounds coming from inside the computer
- Computer is doing things by itself
- Receiving alerts that you are infected with a virus
- You can’t install a program or piece of hardware
- Emails are automatically being sent from you email without you doing it
- You are automatically directed to pages, while browsing the internet, that you don’t want to go to
- You notice new icons appear on your desktop that you didn’t install
How did I get this problem?
Generally viruses, spyware, and malware come from using file sharing programs such as limewire, bearshare, morpheus, bit torrents, and kazaa. These infections can also come from websites and emails. Most users will have a virus and spyware program but it will either be expired, have outdated virus and spyware definitions, or may not offer enough protection. Free virus protection software such as spybot, adware, and AVG do not offer the premium protection that many users require. However, having some sort of protection is better than having nothing.
I have anti-virus and anti-spyware protection, how did I get infected?
Unfortunately, fighting the battle against viruses and spyware can not be done with only anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. The best prevention against becoming infected are practicing safe internet habits and purchasing a top quality commerical anti-virus and anti-spyware programs like Webroot Spysweeper or Vipre anti-virus and anti-spyware.
Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are designed to help prevent, detect, and remove infections. If the anti-virus and anti-spyware program detects an infection and the user fails to read the warning prompt and clicks “run the program anyways”, the user has just made the decision to override the warning therefore infecting their computer.
Why should I buy protection when free protection is available?
Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs come in many different flavors. Some anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are free while others may cost money for a yearly subscription. There are literally hundreds of anti-virus and spyware programs available today. Quality of protection will vary greatly and many of the free protection options available do not offer real time protection from viruses and spyware. Free programs may also not be updated often enough to provide the most up-to-date virus and spyware protection. Purchasing a commercial anti-virus and anti-spyware program will provide real-time protection and may also offer virus and spyware updates on an hourly basis.
What could happen if I don’t do anything?
Consequences of not cleaning your computer of viruses and spyware could cause the following problems:
- Identity Theft
- Fraudulant purchasing activities
- Slow computer performance
- You could spread the infection to your other computers as well as to your friends and family
What can EasyITGuys do?
- Remove viruses and spyware
- Restore safety to your computer
- Optimize your computer
- Prevent future infections
- Teach you safe computing
- Install protective software
- Create magic restore points
- Test your computer for hardware defects